View Single Post
Old 07-03-13, 06:23 AM   #1
goblinsly
Lurking Renovator

Default Using tap water to cool down the fridge

Hey everyone,

In my apartment, my fridge is only a few meters away from my bed and no wall in between. Fridge noice bothered me at night soo i decided to enclose it in a closet and add fans to cool off the compressor and coils. I already finished the idea but that is not why i made this post.

I have my fridge near the sink. The water coming out of the pipe is cold, probably 15C. This is the only water pipe i have apart from the shower. This means i use it quite a lot. I measured the height and it would be quite simple to connect the outlet of the sink to go through a copper pipe that would touch the fridge coils and then out. The idea is that when the fridge works, the copper pipes would heat a lot ( tested it ) and when i would drop the water with only 15C, the difference would be enough to take a lot of heat of them. It would also be possible to leave a small amount of water in the pipes at all times, giving the fridge time to heat them ... and then when i use water to wash things, new cold water would simply push away the hot water in them.

I use water sink maybe every hour or every 2 hours ... and my fridge works for 30-40 minutes and then rests for 60-80 minutes. That means that basicly i would cool the fridge on every cycle this way.

This would work good in the summer to remove some of the heat but if my understanding of the way fridge works, it would also make the cycle shorter - less energy usage.

I got this idea because i wanted to create a simple watercooling for the fridge .. but then i thought ... why create a pump using the electricity and fans ... if i can just use gravity ... and i use the water anyway .. i eat 4+ times a day and i wash the plate afterwards ... i wash my hands when i use the bathroom .. etc. There is a good height difference between the sink and the hole where water leaves the apartment ... with a small copper tube i could twist it a few times ... creating a big area of cooling ... When my fridge works, it uses about 250W says the killawatt .. in the summer that is quite a lot of heat, if you manage to remove it from the apartment ..

Soo, what do you think ?

goblinsly is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to goblinsly For This Useful Post:
Homeless (07-13-13)