View Single Post
Old 04-16-13, 12:14 AM   #9
marx290
Vapor Compression Goon

Send a message via Yahoo to marx290

I can appreciate your point about the quantity of water it takes to generate electricity. I'm sure it's quite large. With all the losses in generation, transmission and compressor motor coil windings, only reinforces the point that conventional AC wastes a lot of resources unnecessarily.

I don't have a any problem with using water in an evaporative sense; I know it is just going to condense somewhere else later. There are a lot of resources that go into producing a potable fresh water supply and since fresh water is becoming harder to come by, I would think utilizing a secondary source of water might be the responsible thing to do. That is why I suggested rainwater. But, in those large, thirsty operations, I can see why they use the potable water supply for the security, convenience and lower power consumption.

Have you done any work with evaporative cooling?

As I would understand it, water is very much a refrigerant in every sense of the word here. I guess that's fairly obvious, but it seems that it's rarely mentioned.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
marx290 is offline   Reply With Quote