View Single Post
Old 06-04-13, 09:01 AM   #332
Mobile Master Tech
Apprentice EcoRenovator

New projects? Yup-firing my energy utilities! Even with 4 people, 2 businesses, electric clothes dryer, and shop equipment in the house, I've gotten my daily KWH use down to 17-21 without AC and 27-33 with my new 23 SEER Nordyne AC set on "meat locker", including a couple of parties with 40 people present. All my light fixtures except one are now CFL or LED. Costco just came out with a 3 pack of great LED bulbs for $20, and they work great and are dimmable.

That usage, my friends, is within the capabilities of an off-grid "prepper" solar PV system with hybrid heat collectors feeding heat to a hacked GSHP that uses boreholes around the house to raise all the surrounding dirt temperature enough to increase the GSHP efficiency-Passive Annualized Heat Storage.

I want off-grid capability, and my utility only pays 2.5 cents per KWH for surplus capacity right now. If they change, I may go grid-interactive so I can sell to them.

Oh yeah-I bought a Mazda Miata that I plan to convert to electric!