View Single Post
Old 08-10-10, 11:35 AM   #101
gasstingy
Journeyman EcoRenovator

Good stuff. The windows all look very good. Protecto Wrap is a pretty funny name.

After baking in the sun installing it, Protecto Wrap gets hilarious! In my best cartoon superhero announcer voice: "Protecto Wrap, Master of the Universe!"

Is that the south face with all the windows?

Yes, I was told for passive solar to put 7 - 9% as much window area as floor space. I used 9% as my figure to shoot for and ignored the reality math shows. In other words: I took 75 sf of windows (3'x5' x5 = 75) and divided by 864 sf of floor space. The windows are not 36" x 60" of glazing, due to the frames, etc and the floor space isn't 24'x36'. It is 24'x36' to the outside of the blocks, not the inside. I didn't bother to correct the figures as I said, "close enough. This is north Alabama, not Montana."

All of the south facing windows are plain double pane windows. North, east and west are double pane, Low-E coated. The big overhangs should take care of most of the sun hitting the south facing windows. A bit later, it will get 6" rain gutters and a copycat rain catchment system, like one of the several I've seen here.

gasstingy is offline   Reply With Quote