View Single Post
Old 09-24-10, 06:56 PM   #8
Big Al
Big Al

Progress( !! )altho another project has crept in (1762 !! ). in that have just completed a tree house platform about 18 feet high for my grandkids. On this platform I have installed a 20 feet lookout tower protruding above the local tree canopy . They love it , but more to the point , on climbing to the top (testing of course) I notice that I have nothing between me and the Gargunnock hills about 5 miles away and almost due SW , which in this quite windy country , is where the fast air comes from. Have bought a Power Predictor which logs wind speed and direction (and solar energy arriving- a cruel joke in Scotland ) and will also decapitate grandchildren on the lookout if I'm not careful. I'm hoping for average wind speeds of 5.5 m/s but am braced for disappointment. This should be installed this week but will take about 3 months logging to see if the Vawt is worth building. I'm old enuff to have learned " Don't build the watermill until you 've checked you've got a river "
The ground levelling and slinky installation will probably have to wait until next spring (Permafrost-only joking ) which gives me plenty of time to find out lots more about Vawts and heat pumps.

I thought at first the photo you posted was the folly on Carlton hill in Edinburgh (strong wind resistant construction ) but on relooking I noticed sun shadows so it can't be. Have now purchased a digital camera , and once I've learned how to post photos (only counts as 1/4 project-1762 and 1/4 ! ) will post a photo of the Vawt mount and lookout tower as a bit of light relief from your excavations and heat pump work.

Rgds Big Al
Big Al is offline   Reply With Quote