View Single Post
Old 01-05-09, 07:40 PM   #1
dremd
Need More Eco

Send a message via AIM to dremd
Default Has anyone ever done a DIY geothermal A/C?

My Bio-Diesel Garage is going to be in need of A/C soon. I have a dehumidifier in there now; but when things warm up I'd rather just cool and dry it than just dry it.

I would like to do everything I can to keep the project as green as posable; but the budget is slim (especially with fuel prices low).

So here's the Idea Take an old window unit build a water tight box around the condenser, put a submersible pump at the bottom on one side and the return on the other. I could also silicone a series of walls to both sides of the condenser forcing the water to flow in an S shape many times . . . I'm thinking about using typical horizontal in ground loop using coils of tubing. My garage is in a 3.5 acre field so space is absolutely no issue.

Looking at
5,000 btu Window unit $ Free (already have)
Fountain pump $30
water tight box $30
Tubing $200 ?? EDIT: Just found 100' of 3/4" Polyethylene tube for $17 at lowes so 500' is $50http://www.lowes.com/lowes/lkn?action=productDetail&productId=24166-000000150-24166&lpage=none
Excavator rental $200 ??

So under $400 for a Geothermal cooler. Payback would still be pretty long but at that price point I'm willing to absorb it.

Any Ideas? Comments? Modifications? Reasons it won't work?

Please no "Just buy a commercially produced system and pay someone to install it" that is way out of the price range I'm looking at for this project.

Last edited by dremd; 01-05-09 at 08:32 PM..
dremd is offline   Reply With Quote