View Single Post
Old 02-13-11, 08:19 AM   #1
S-F
You Ain't Me

Default Biogas in Vietman

I have a friend who is working in economic development in Vietnam and has been for several years now. I spoke to him yesterday morning (the miracle of Skype and the internet) and he was describing to me how in the north where he is (Hanoi) they are diverting all of their human and animal waste to giant underground air tight cisterns where it is allowed to ferment and is producing gas at an astounding rate with great pressure. The gas is then routed to domiciles where it is used for cooking and lighting. They have installed gas lights, not like the traditional gas lights of England, but more akin to a Coleman lantern with mantles which are plumbed into the domestic gas main. So this morning I decided to see what Google had to say on the subject.

vietnam biogas - Google Search

The first 2 links are quite informative:
http://www.hedon.info/docs/BP53-Teune-5.pdf
TheBiogasProgrammeInVietnam : HEDON Household Energy Network

I know that we have a great supply of natural gas in this country but it makes no sense to me that we are operating waste water treatment facilities without employing such measures. I live about a block away form the local waste water treatment facility and I would much rather have everyone's sewage being turned into clean burning fuel instead of stinking up my yard when the wind is blowing in the wrong direction. I imagine that setting up such a biogas infrastructure wouldn't require much more of a capital investment than the construction of a conventional sewage treatment plant.

S-F is offline   Reply With Quote