View Single Post
Old 05-31-12, 03:39 PM   #3
AC_Hacker
Supreme EcoRenovator

Quote:
Originally Posted by S-F View Post
EnerPHit

...When should we give up and call the bulldozer? Is 0.6 ACH@50 actually going to save you ANY money at all? Or maybe cost more than you'll save over a thousand years?
Glad you included the link... but did you actually read the original article? There is way more information there... maybe 10x more.

It can be frustrating, but there are highly detailed trainings on how to achieve PH standards on new construction and also how to achieve the reduced standards on retrofit.

The difference in cost for new construction between code and PH is pretty small, when you subtract the elaborate heating system that will not be needed. And the payback is short.

Retrofit is a different matter in the USA... at least for now.

Our energy costs are held low because we spend so much (1/2 of the federal budget) on the military, guarding 'our oil that happens to be in other countries'?. How long will we be able to sustain the extravagant military? How long will the oil hold out?

Europeans, who have 2X+ energy costs are much more motivated than we are.

Sometimes I think that we are like flies caught in amber, in as much that we hold to pay-back models that ignore the rapid rise in energy costs. Fracking will save us some, in the shorter term, but the environmental cost will catch up to us.

I think that whatever we have to do to use less energy is the right thing to do.

Thanks for leading me to that article in Construct Ireland Magazine. It's a keeper.

-AC