View Single Post
Old 02-02-12, 07:48 PM   #6
Ryland
Master EcoRenovator

Quote:
Originally Posted by wendortb View Post
The reason I wasn't sure it would do anything is because I basically have a drywall air barrier. I think they are new install so have the fins.

Has anyone heard of adding insulation on the outside, leaving the windows 2" in, and using trim to hide the difference?
It's common to do that with new siding, my house has foam over the old siding then the new siding over that, trim on it is just painted flashing, I like the metal trim as it lasts a long time and only needs paint touched up every 20-30 years.

As for around your windows, it sounds like you don't have any trim around them? that makes thins more annoying but you can still work with it, adding trim would be the easiest route.
The fiberglass you have is more or less slowing the cold air down and filtering out the dirt, when you go to pull the fiberglass out you will find a ton of dirt trapped in it, cold air is then getting to the back side of the dry wall that is around the window, if you had a thermal image of the wall you would see that space as a cold spot all around your window.
Ryland is offline   Reply With Quote