View Single Post
Old 02-02-12, 07:18 AM   #1
wendortb
Lurking Renovator

Default Air seal windows or leave alone?

I have double hung double pane vinyl windows throughout my house. It looks like when they installed the windows and doors they used fiberglass as insulation around the casement. They installed drywall right up to the window except for the window sill which is a board.

In an effort to help air seal for now, I put silicone caulk around the window to air seal to the drywall. I don't feel any air coming around the window any more, but i wondered if that meant it was going into the wall.

Should i remove the drywall around all of my windows in order to remove the fiberglass and install great stuff? I would install wood trim around the windows if I have to remove the drywall, since it would be easier for me.

I already have done this for my doors as they had wood trim.

One other thing: In a few years, I plan on taking the siding off the house, adding 2" of foil faced polyiso and putting metal siding on. I wasn't sure if i should remove the windows when I do this in order to make the windows flush with the exterior to help with rain. If I install touch foam, this would make the windows harder to remove. Suggestions here?

wendortb is offline   Reply With Quote