View Single Post
Old 02-23-20, 08:08 PM   #8
jeff5may
Supreme EcoRenovator

Send a message via Yahoo to jeff5may

In your application, the little 5k unit will pull lots of latent heat out of your house with the water. Plus some cooling effect, but mostly condensate. This will help your main cooler move the temperature faster and more evenly, if you lower the dewpoint enough.

What I'm saying about the digital control units is that they have a dehumidify cycle where the compressor cycles on and off with the program so it uses less energy to move the same amount of water out of the air. With one of the newer models running this mode, you might only average the same power draw as the 5k unit, but pull out more water. Just saying, they're available everywhere second hand pretty cheap.

If you are trying to get humidity under control, it would be super cost effective to do a blower door test and seal up the biggest leaks. I usually seal up the window around the ac unit with heat shrink film, double sided clear tape and clear packing tape. I usually glue the fresh air flap shut on the smaller ones to keep them from leaking air.
jeff5may is offline   Reply With Quote