View Single Post
Old 09-21-14, 08:50 AM   #9
jeff5may
Supreme EcoRenovator

Send a message via Yahoo to jeff5may

Quote:
Originally Posted by F357 View Post
After doing a ton of googling I just want to make sure I have the basic procedure right...

1. Install service port like this on high and low side:
(Can't post ebay link, don't have enough posts here yet)

If you don't braze in fittings, flare them. Standard home a/c service fittings equal 1/4" flare. You can get flare nuts and fittings at home despot and slows; if you get bored and want to change something later, just crack theflares loose and rig something else in.

2. Hookup cheapest refrigeration gauge set I can find.

Make sure you can get replacement parts for your gauge set. If generic hoses won't fit or you can't get seals or valves,the set is basically disposable, a one-trick pony.

3. Pull vacuum on system.

A micron gauge will make this process much easier. Not using one is basically blindly trusting your vacuum pump.

4. Slowly fill with propane until the pressure is in the right range.

Does that sound about right? Are the high and low side pressures going to be about the same for propane? (Says 170/380 on the machine)
The pressures on the nameplate are maximum design pressures. Go above these and your plumbing could burst at any time.

Actual running pressures will vary upon conditions the unit is exposed to. On an 80 degree day, in cooling mode, mine runs around 65-80/170-180. Tune for superheat, not absolute chart pressure.
jeff5may is offline   Reply With Quote