Thread: Coal furnace
View Single Post
Old 04-04-21, 01:25 PM   #39
Elcam84
Apprentice EcoRenovator

Nothing smells as good when burned as coal other than the mesquite in my smoker. I love the smell of burning coal especially in a locomotive.

Would be nice for the shop but wood/coal heat wastes so much floor space in a building.

As for the Texas thing. It wasn't as big of a deal as the media made it out to be (as usual). I was on my way back from Charlotte via Fayettville,GA and got stuck in lousyana for 2 nights because they have no graders to clear the roads and just close the freeways instead.

Our power went out the second night at around 10am. It came back a few times here and there and wasn't fully on until 6am the next day. The generator ran the furnace fridge and other stuff just fine. Our electric bill was normal for the month and our gas bill was only 10$ more than last february.

Austin and San Antonio were the biggest problems along with apartments. Very few houses here had any frozen pipes. Even houses that sat for a day or more with temps hitting -4 survived just fine.

I have converted the big generator to tri fuel so it's easier for her to start when I'm not here and no issues with fuel going bad in the carb. The generator was primarily for summer as that's when our power tends to go out and it's easier to stay warm than cool... Our local power lines here are all running over capacity since it's an older area and houses use more power now so fuses and transformers blow here. I get a warning before it blows as my battery backups kick in as the voltage and frequency dips.

My video of the generator conversion
https://youtu.be/pCoRNeoninQ
Elcam84 is offline   Reply With Quote