View Single Post
Old 06-10-13, 10:26 PM   #9
Mobile Master Tech
Apprentice EcoRenovator

Well, AGS works with flat plate collectors up north! Drake landing has had solar storage cover 98% of their thermal energy this year, and more than 90% for 5 years running AS DETAILED HERE.

I installed my Nordyne AC, which is rated for 23SEER instead of the original 22 with new thermostat control programming. It is working beautifully, and I can't believe I can turn my 3 story home AND the garage into an ice cube for less than 15kwh/day! The old units would usually take more than 60kwh/day!

I have left it slightly undercharged to allow some extra condensing in the lowest 1/3 of the mammoth condenser, which lowers the high side pressures and the work the compressor has to do to achieve them. I ensured I have enough subcooling to ensure the expansion valve always sees liquid, preventing "sneezing", by soldering the liquid and vapor lines next to each other for 3 feet, creating a zero-added-restriction heat exchanger, reducing unwanted heat gain in the vapor line in the process.

I have decided to wait on installing a desuperheater on the AC to see if I get enough thermal energy from heat collectors I will make on the back of PV panels. Sundrum Collectors use the same idea. Anyone else ever "roll their own" heat collectors for commercial PV panels?

Boreholes, hacked GSHP, collectors and storage tank details to come!

Craig