View Single Post
Old 12-16-12, 01:45 PM   #30
classradiance

Smile Yes - LED is more efficient than CFL

Quote:
Originally Posted by MN Renovator View Post
If you overdrive an LED for more light output and/or it overheats, it will get dim.
This gets more important if your light fixture is too small and sealed. I've been lucky with my bedroom light, it is one of the 15" inverse glass dome type, which seem to be popular and I like them. My 2 8 watt LED lamps aren't getting too hot in the enclosure and after using them for almost two years(if I recall on the time correctly), they seem as bright as when I bought them. These are Sylvania Ultra 3000K LEDs (LED8A19/G2), the box says 50,000 hours life and 430 lumens. These make my room brighter than the two 13 watt CFLs that they replaced, even though the lumen level is lower than what the CFLs were rated for. ..and I don't have to wait for them to warm up to give me full brightness.

For what it's worth. "Assembled in US from domestic and foreign components" is on the box. They used to be $40 when I got my first one, then I immediately bought a second. Now I have a total of 5 after they went on sale during $10 and $15 sales at Menards. The packaging says they are compatible with dimmers but for the best efficiency of the lighting in my house, I put the appropriate light output in each fixture so that I have it as bright as I want.
As for overdrive on an LED .... any component which demands a Load and has an incorrect Resistor on it shall perish.
An increase in its Light output would break down the material owing to the heat which has increased owing to higher Current passing through.
It is that very heat which destroys the diode .

Now the big question is - Why do you need to use Low voltage bulbs on your projects.

Forget 120V or 240V - best playing with 12V / 24V / 48V .

What is sold as a DRIVER for Mains Voltage - is actually a drop down PSU .. !!

Problem with that kit is it wastes heat in the process.
Inverters waste heat in process ..

ECO to me does not = a 240V - 120V System. . . Get away from Mains - and you are on your way to an Off Grid System which will save you much money in the future. AND i AM TALKING LIGHTS ... and yes you are correct about the brighter LEDs over CFL.

120V / 10V = 12V = 10/1 ratio for the drop down coils = heat in the process!!
Why bother then with Mains - just use 12V from a Battery Directly on your LEDs WITH A Current Limiting Resistor.

KOI
classradiance is offline   Reply With Quote