View Single Post
Old 11-04-12, 03:36 PM   #24
Exeric
Apprentice EcoRenovator

Hi Christopher,
I was interested in these LEDs also because they are inexpensive for recessed led lights. I bought some Crees that are horribly expensive and I'm always looking for alternatives to those. Unfortunately I don't think these LEDs and most of the other Chinese ones will work safely as recessed lights in the USA.

If you look closely at them they all seem to have spring loaded retaining clips that work like toggle bolts used in walls, that is, they need a flat surface like wallboard to install into. That means they won't install into recessed lighting cans because those can surfaces are oriented perpendicularly to them. The retaing clips on the Crees, (ecosmart brand) have a really ingenious retainer clip that grips the side surface of cans but still allow you to remove them. They work on surfaces that are oriented perpendicular to the Chinese LEDs.

Bottom line: you can't protect those LEDs from the insulation with can assemblies and they would be completely illegal from an inspection standpoint to be installed in insulated ceilings in the US. You might be able to install the smaller ones in cabinets. I wouldn't even know these things if I hadn't been forced to do the research because I didn't want to pay so much money for led recessed lighting. I guess you get what you pay for sometimes. Sorry to be negative but it's better to know about these things. I think a lot of the money you are paying for legal led recessed lights is the certification process the manufacturers are forced to go through.
Exeric is offline   Reply With Quote