View Single Post
Old 02-10-20, 02:12 AM   #8
gadget
Helper EcoRenovator

Quote:
Originally Posted by gadget View Post
Good point!

I don't have it up and running yet but I bought a lister 8/1 clone last summer that could charge/power the batteries at night. They run off of any fuel oil. Im hoping to run it on used veggie oil, or...keep it just for back up to save on engine wear and go with a thermal store. I already have 3 indirect water heaters I have found cheap on local adds. I have an 104 Gallon Marathon plastic, 80 gallon IBC stainless, and a 50 gallon stainless(forget the brand).

I have not done the math yet on BTU needs/storage so they may be to small for over night. Do you know what size tank an average house would need for over night storage? Are we talking thousands of gallons?

I like the idea of over night storage. Thanks
I couldn't sleep so I stayed up and did some research. 1 of my tanks could probably store about 50K BTUs (depending on temp). My 70's 2 story 2,000 sq ft home in a 6500 deg day area could loose that 50K BTU's in an hour.

One site said 500-1500 gallons storage is typical for over night or 10hrs of heat for average homes.

I don't have that kind of space so it looks like I can't do thermal storage for over night. That would of been a nice option. It explains the poor performance of my 200 sq ft greenhouse heat battery I tried earlier this winter. It was about 385 gallons of water but only at 100F
gadget is offline   Reply With Quote