View Single Post
Old 01-14-13, 12:46 PM   #2
MN Renovator
Less usage=Cheaper bills

It's been in production for a year or two, I think, now. That compressor is in the Carrier Greenspeed line. The product datasheet looks pretty good, although even with that insanely expensive heat pump, the operational costs with averagish electrical prices in my area (10.6c/kwh) and low natural gas prices(.65c/therm) in my area where it is common to have multiple weeks that have overnight lows below 10 degrees leaves it as a more expensive operational cost for me. It seems that a small Fujitsu 12k BTU mini-split used at my house would be a better use of my money and used when it is not too frigid out when it is still within the balance point to where it can produce enough heat would be a lower operational cost overall and used during the summer with its superior SEER would be a better choice, especially with a lower cost to buy the unit and the fact that with the right equipment and knowledge, I could install myself or get one of my HVAC buddies to do the commissioning of the unit for a good price.

With all that said, I think that it is a good unit if you in a marginally cold area but not too cold where natural gas is more expensive or electricity is very cheap and where A/C usage is also high so the unit gets a good run for its money. I still think that reducing heating and cooling loads and using a step or two cheaper equipment would be a better use of money. This technology seems to be aimed at the spendy early adopter level of consumers.
MN Renovator is offline   Reply With Quote