View Single Post
Old 01-19-12, 12:16 PM   #185
pachai
Renovator-in-planning

Now that I am circulating hot water, I am able to contemplate how to heat it. Right now, I am using
an electric HW heater, because it cost a fraction of the cost of a "solar" tank, and it has built-in backup heat.
Electric is not an ideal way to heat water, but the fact is, half of my electricity is from solar PV, and it should improve next year.

I'd like to bounce ideas for how to heat off
anyone who has done such....

1. The best part of my roof is occupied by PV panels,
but a) There is about 80 square feet available on a
SSW roof and b) There could be room for one parabolic trough 30' long on this same roof
b) There are 375 square feet available on the WNW roof, with a very shallow angle. I was thinking I could put up a few parabolic troughs, and tilt them ESE or even S. - I don't think I can put up panels of any sort at an angle.

2. I have a hugely oversized gas boiler for heating the parts of the house that don't have Hydronic Radiant (YET). The boiler does not have an opening to add a heat exchanger inside it, but I may be able to take hot water OUT and run it through a heat exchanger and bring it back. (the best would be to get a bushing so I can route it through my Hot Water Tank and out, while keeping it isolated.) I am thinking of putting a few lengths of 1/2" copper on either side of one return pipe and see how much heat I can recover. This could be done with another pump or perhaps just a valve that enables that loop when safe. I could also add a pipe with a vent to be a "radiator" just for this.

3. In the summer, I want to put pipes in the ground (I mentioned that hope once before). They could be water pipes to any depth, but if I DIY, it will be 5'
Or, they could be copper (ie.,for refrigerant) down to 10' - I need to discuss with the City. OR, a friend who is a plumber said he knows a driller. For cooling, pump and dump, a heat pump might not even be needed.

I appreciate any suggestions.
pachai is offline   Reply With Quote