View Single Post
Old 03-28-12, 12:00 AM   #14
AC_Hacker
Supreme EcoRenovator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Geo NR Gee View Post
...they showed in the tour was that it is an extremely safe way to produce electricity. Funny thing is, the plant was torn down a few years back.
The plant was built right on the Columbia, in the 100-year flood plain. Not only that, it was built down-river for Bonneville dam. The Allies pioneered the technique of destroying dams as a weapon. Not reason to think that nobody will ever think to do something like that again. Also, like most reactors, the waste was stored in open pools also in the 100-year flood plain. In addition to all that, the reactor is built on a earthquake-prone fault line very similar to the San Andreas fault.

It was not at all extremely safe... that was just P.R.

I had a neighbor whose father worked at the plant, and he related that there were frequent leaks and releases that, against rules and the law, were never reported.

I had the honor of having this guy, Lloyd Marbett on my show, last Sunday...

...he was very instrumental in having Trojan Nuclear plant (the one you mentioned) shut down and then torn down, although to this day he says he wanted the cooling tower to stay up as a monument to stupidity and short-sightedness.

-AC