View Single Post
Old 07-12-16, 01:07 PM   #13
WyrTwister
Master EcoRenovator

Quote:
Originally Posted by oil pan 4 View Post
Circuits are not intended to run continuously at more than 80% of rated amps. For a 40 amp circuit this is 32 amps.
Will the charger regularly draw 32 amps or more?
You also have to derate the wire for the higher temperature found in up near the roof.
So now what you thought was a 40 amp circuit becomes more like 30 amps or less.
This is important because fixed wiring causes about 70% of fires in residential structures.
Yes , I am aware of all of that . I have over 35 years in the trade .

I also know many fires that can not be determined as to cause , are blamed on electrical . Every one accepts that explanation , nods their heads and are satisfied . And down the road they go .

I think our 2012 Leaf has a 3.3 kw charger . When you do the math ( Ohm's Law ) that comes out to 13.75 amps at 240 VAC 1 phase . Continuous duty is 3 hours or more . Not sure if it takes 3 hours to charge , but throw that in and I get 17.1875 amps . And not sure if the charger starts to taper off when the battery approaches 100% ?

I think the 2016 Leaf has a 6.6 kw charger . So , that would be 34.375 amps . Still OK on # 8/2 W/G Romex and a 40 amp Circuit Breaker .

If , at some point I get a newer Leaf with the 6.6 kw charger , I will be OK .

And still OK if you derate the ampacity of the cable for elevated temperature .

The Chevy Bolt specs indicate a 7.2 kw charger . This gives a 30 amp draw at 240 VAC -> 37.5 amps . Might or might not have issues due to elevated temperatures . If I should ever buy a Bolt ?

But , I am pretty sure the GE Watt Station has the capability to change a jumper on the control board to step it down as far as output ?

Jumper J21

for 30A Circuit
Optional position C … connect other end of wire to position #4 and the DuraStation will provide a duty cycle to the car indicating that only 24A may be drawn. This position should be used when installing the DuraStation on a 30A branch circuit.

Or , I could use the # 8/2 W/G as a pull cable & pull a new # 6/2 W/G . I had the # 8/2 W/G on hand & it will be sufficient for the foreseeable future .

God bless
Wyr

Last edited by WyrTwister; 07-12-16 at 02:47 PM..
WyrTwister is offline   Reply With Quote