View Single Post
Old 08-11-13, 03:27 PM   #3
Ryland
Master EcoRenovator

Quote:
Originally Posted by randen View Post
I'm surprized that in this arena anyone talks about burning furnace oil. I understand you are thinking bio-diesel. If you swing over to dudadiesel they have all the equipment for refining the stuff.

But I would have to think someone in their 80s would rather do other things than mess with bio-diesel. I would think a high efficiency split heat-pump would be a better choice. For the cost of either making bio with the proper equipment or trying to concoct alternate methods on burning veggie oil as furnace oil would very quickly add up to a split heat-pump unit.
This guy doesn't have the $500 minimum they charge to come out with a truck to fill his fuel oil tank less then half way nor the $1,200 it would cost him to fill it up all the way let alone the $1,000's it would cost him to have a heat pump installed, he is however in good enough shape to cut his own fire wood to cover most of his heating needs and is just looking for cheaper options on backup heat, he however does not want to mess around with refining oil in to bio diesel, that is why I suggested thinned veggie oil, it would bring his fuel cost down to that of a heat pump without the cost of buying a heat pump, but I've never worked with fuel oil furnaces.
Ryland is offline   Reply With Quote