View Single Post
Old 08-11-13, 10:48 AM   #2
randen
Uber EcoRenovator

Ryland

I'm surprized that in this arena anyone talks about burning furnace oil. I understand you are thinking bio-diesel. If you swing over to dudadiesel they have all the equipment for refining the stuff.

But I would have to think someone in their 80s would rather do other things than mess with bio-diesel. I would think a high efficiency split heat-pump would be a better choice. For the cost of either making bio with the proper equipment or trying to concoct alternate methods on burning veggie oil as furnace oil would very quickly add up to a split heat-pump unit.

Our fellow eco-renovator Xringer speaks very highly about the savings of his units.

With some direction from other eco-renovators here could step you through the installation process saving your friend significant money on the most expensive part, Installation.

We used to burn furnace oil for heating. And I as well, spent time wondering how to slash my heating bill. Augmenting our heat with burning wood. Chainsaws/ pick-up. No. Propane Ouch. We eventually have to embrace technology much like the oil furnace replaced the coal burning octopus.

We had installed geo-thermal units in 2009 We have reached the payback point and all the time staying toasty warm in winter and cool in summer. The question and fear of how much it will cost to heat for the up-coming heating season never occurs to us. So long oil!!

Randen
randen is offline   Reply With Quote