View Single Post
Old 06-04-10, 10:26 AM   #153
Daox
Administrator

Well, disaster struck about a week ago. It was my own fault. I had a battery literally explode on me. I had gotten a new drive belt and hooked up the brake finally, so I took it for a spin around the yard to see how it worked. I also decided to see what 3rd gear would do with the new belt. It took the front wheels off the ground. My face was very much like this: . Anyways, I took it back to the garage and wanted to test out my new hydrometer which tests the state of charge of the battery, way more accurate than a voltmeter. Anways, I was peeling off one of the covers and there was an explosion. Apparently (and I obviously didn't know this) batteries let off hydrogen gas while in use as well as when charging. I knew about the charging part, but not about the in use part. So, it blew a 2" hole in the side of the battery case, another 1.5" hole in the top of the case along with multiple other cracks and acid all over the place. Thankfully all I got was a little scratch from the cover hitting my arm. A box of baking soda later and the mess was contained. I'll get pics up later of the battery.

Anyway, I ordered another two batteries. While talking with the EV club guys, I decided it would be better to bump the voltage up. This not only will give me more than 30% more run time, but it will also lower the amperage to the motor which had been running warm. So, I'll be killing tow birds with one stone. Now, I REALLY need to get new pulleys.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
&
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Daox is offline   Reply With Quote