View Single Post
Old 05-05-10, 07:33 AM   #34
jwxr7
Apprentice EcoRenovator

Here's a few things from my emails to the company. At first they said it wasn't a problem and then showed me the story in your link Xringer.
I told them the hub is a little wobbly and asked them at what wind speed can I use this blade/hub set safely while loaded? No answer was given for that.

They did say this...
Quote:
This is very unusual!!!!! We have sold 200,000 units and you are the ONLY person who is having this problem. I would say the fastest fix would be to remove the blades and put the hub on reversed facing CONE SIDE into the wind.

The blades will need to be flipped of coarse so FLAT SIDE still faces into the wind. Then it should bend back evenly.

THIS should be done under NO Load to make them spin as fast as possible!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! centrifugal force

ALSO weigh the blades and put the two LIGHTEST ones opposite each other on the hub,,, Problem FIXED!

Kim
then this...
Quote:
Bending back is not a big problem.... Now if it is out of balance that is a problem,,, but very easy to solve.
It is part of the design,,, to be flexible. Their are things more horrible then a blade hitting a pole,,,, like a blades KILLING someone.

This is part of the safety feature.

Kim
Seems like a strong hub would be safer . I plan to furl around 26-27 mph now, so maybe it won't be as big an issue.
I used a gram scale and balanced out the blades using different weight washers. There were a couple that were 6-7 grams heavier than the rest. They were supposed to be a balanced set. I don't know how balanced they need to be, but now they are within a fraction of a gram of each other.
jwxr7 is offline   Reply With Quote