View Single Post
Old 01-04-10, 12:58 PM   #240
AC_Hacker
Supreme EcoRenovator

Default brazing vs. glue

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe View Post
so out of your whole project it seems the brazing is the most difficult part to get right, has anyone tried this stuff?Home I take it from a couple threads I read online that it works when used correctly.
I think if you could buy or borrow the tools and materials for brazing, you'd be so amazed by how easy it is.

But, regarding workmanship and what kind of materials to use for creating your own innovations, consider this,

1. Stress: A refrigeration device is a machine, and is subject to both mechanical cycling and to temperature cycling. If you expect to succeed you will want to use approaches that can withstand both vibration and large temperature changes.

2. Automation: Our expectations of a refrigeration device are that they will operate without our attention.

3. Reliability: We expect our refrigeration devices to give us trouble free service for a long time. I think that the current expectation for a new refrigerator is 10 years, or better (my refrigerator is about 80 years old, still running perfectly, but that's another story).

Can you imagine how your relationship with a refrigerator, or air-conditioner might be different, if you were required to stand near it , and watch it, to make sure it could make it through another run cycle? I doubt that many of us would even have a refrigerator if it meant getting out of bed at 3 am to monitor its performance.

So, regarding the use of glue, according to the advertisement, that product will reach a strength of about 1,200 psi. Silver brazing rod has a strength of between 60,000 psi and 80,000 psi. That' over 50 times stronger.

Your choice...

Regards,

-AC_Hacker
Attached Images

Last edited by AC_Hacker; 01-04-10 at 01:04 PM.. Reason: blog would not let me add pic unless I saved then went to edit mode
AC_Hacker is offline   Reply With Quote