View Single Post
Old 05-16-12, 09:04 AM   #3
Ryland
Master EcoRenovator

Golf Cart motors are great motors but if you don't have a machine shop then it will be useless because they don't have an output shaft! instead they have a female splined socket that is made to fit the differential on the golf cart, I'm working on designing an adapter for golf cart motors but I don't have any prices yet, I have some of the parts designed and I need to get the drawings back and send them in to get bids to have them CNC machined.

You might check around and see if there are any heavy equipment salvage yards near you, if there are you might see what they have for fork lift motors, the motors off the pump should be about the right size.

A golf cart speed controller should work find, there are two things you need to know about them, some of them have induction throttles and some of them have 0-5k ohm resistance throttles, the resister/pot box throttles are the older style and people like them, it also means you would have a volume style knob or a lever style throttle where the induction throttle speed controllers I think are only sold as a foot pedal.
The other thing to know is the two types of golf cart motors that are common, SepEx motors (one large set of electrical lugs and one small set of lugs), and series wound motors (all 4 electrical connections are the same size) the controllers for series wound motors will also work with permanent magnet motors.
Ryland is offline   Reply With Quote