View Single Post
Old 02-27-21, 11:17 PM   #6
jeff5may
Supreme EcoRenovator

Send a message via Yahoo to jeff5may

I moved into a fairly new house about 2 years ago. I was having sticker shock the first winter. That month, I went to the big box store and blew up 8 inches of cellulose into the top floor attic. The kids, living in upstairs bedrooms, immediately noticed the difference. I made my money back that winter on the insulation.

I Also noticed that the heat pump was defrosting every couple hours, whether or not the outdoor unit was frosty. Pulled the panel and figured out the coil sensor wasn't connected correctly. Flashy light codes and such.

Between the insulation and the heat pump troubleshooting, my heating bill chopped in half by the time it really got cold.

This is in a stick built home, somewhat cape cod style. Same basic layout as the left side of Gary's example house. 2 story with a below grade basement. 14 seer trane 2.5 ton heat pump covers the whole year. Upstairs bathroom is in a dormer, and the plumbing just froze last week during single digit weather. No complaints about comfy bedrooms from kids, only that the water won't run. Thank God for pex pipe.

Last edited by jeff5may; 02-28-21 at 12:03 AM..
jeff5may is offline   Reply With Quote