View Single Post
Old 01-21-16, 11:16 AM   #28
WyrTwister
Master EcoRenovator

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevehull View Post
Wrytwister

Let's take your numbers and do the math. You use gasoline at $2/gallon, your car at average of 30 mpg. You didn't specify a yearly mileage so let's put in 15,000 miles per year.

With those numbers, the cost of just gasoline is $1,000 per year.

Now let's compare it to the Bolt. It gets 4 miles/kWhr and let's put in the national electric average of $0.10/kWhr. Same numbers of miles driven.

The Bolt "fuel cost" is $375 per year. This is a savings of $625 per year. Assume you own the car for ten years. That is a savings of $6,250.

But the ~ $6K is actually larger than that as money saved has value. Assume a 2% growth of $ and you are up to almost $10k in effective savings over ten years.

Yes, the Bolt will cost more, but I believe the average car is now about $28,000 and a $30,000 car (after tax credit) is not much more extravagant than that average cost.

Yes, you do need a charging circuit for an EV, but oil changes, filters, scheduled engine maintenance etc for a gas fueled vehicle are far more expensive in the long run.

And the rebate for an EV is not the government's money it is YOURS. This is a tax credit that lowers the federal taxes you have already had deducted from your paycheck.

As for the electric grid, remember that most cars are parked at night when the grid is least used - and when most people will charge up an EV.

Not for everyone, but compared to the 15-50 miles per charge on the existing EC/plug in cars, the Bolt with the 200 mile range is a complete game changer.

And if you have even a modest home set of PV panels, the savings is even greater.

Steve

I am not saying the energy cost for our Sonic is less than for a Bolt , or even a Volt .

What I am saying is I am cheap and the $ 15,000 + cost savings in the purchase price , at $ 2 a gallon for gasoline , represents over 225,000 miles .

If you wish to pay $ 28,000 - $ 30,000 for a car , that is fine . It is your money to spend as you see best . But I have no plan to pay that much for any kind of car .

You all have fun and stay safe .

God bless
Wyr
WyrTwister is offline   Reply With Quote