View Single Post
Old 03-11-10, 01:33 PM   #12
Solar
Helper EcoRenovator

[QUOTE=Xringer;6085]"Alot of light and heat can get reflected back"

To be clear, I'm only talking about light that gets inside the house. Not the sun light reflected off the exterior glass.

What I'm thinking about is a normal room with a mix of dark and light objects inside.

Yes, I know that if everything in the room was painted black, it would not have much light lost back out the windows..

But, in a normal room it seems like (once inside) only a small amount of light bounces back outdoors.
My guess is about 10%.. I could be way off.

If it were a lot light coming out, looking into a window from the outdoors, would be almost like looking at the sun..
Like if your room was covered with mirrors, much of the light would just bounce back outdoors.

So, my thinking is, if you have 90% of your light bouncing inside the normal room,
isn't it going to get converted into heat? It can't just bounce around all day..

10% is way off, sorry to tell ya, if rays reflect off of something and hit something else, unless that particular item is good at absorbing heat and light energy well then is just a bigger dead end than it was before and semi-gloss paint keeps reflecting this energy away,
I would use dark materials in the day and white blinds(plastic at night)

glossy surfaces have their own heat absorption rates and what you're implying depending upon the rates of everything surrounding the one spot where the sun is hitting. surface vs surface is the big thing here and if you collect the heat at the bottom of a room via black it travels to the top and heats everything on its way, if its only reflected to the ceiling, it stays closer the the ceiling, not that it is, heat is not sun, heat does not bounce off of objects like light, you're confusing too many variables to be right about 10%.

true flat ultra black paint gets 120+ F in the sun and white semi gloss stays at about room temp(68)

Last edited by Solar; 05-07-10 at 12:20 PM..
Solar is offline   Reply With Quote