View Single Post
Old 07-12-12, 04:13 PM   #6
MN Renovator
Less usage=Cheaper bills

I asked a local HVAC guy about the water mist systems and he said he thought it would corrode the coils to have water sprayed on them. Then he suggested I feel the temperature coming out of a supply register after the a/c was running for awhile. Then spray the condenser down with water and go back inside and feel the air again. I did that, the air was coming out noticeably warmer. I'm not sure why and it doesn't make sense to me. I searched some Youtube videos of those misting systems and the comments from those in the HVAC industry seemed to imply that they were a bad idea for the corrosion aspects as well as if you get the condenser too cold you could freeze up the evaporator and which would cause the refrigerant to slug the compressor.

I originally thought the idea was more about spraying colder underground temperature water that was below ambient air temp on them more than the evaporative cooling idea.

I'm not trying to discourage you, just unsure about the whole idea myself. I thought of trying it since my A/C is 26 years old, 8.5 SEER, and has a small condenser coil so I might see a bigger improvement and the risk is less since its might need replacement soon anyway. ..but that decision is hard because my upcoming electric bill will be about 300kwh($45) and I don't keep the house that cool anyway, even with the record outdoor temps we've had here.
MN Renovator is offline   Reply With Quote