View Single Post
Old 08-14-10, 12:59 PM   #180
Daox
Administrator

My chargers came in the nick of time (Friday). This leaves me with the weekend to work on the mower and get it all converted to 48V. Here is what the chargers look like. Nice and compact which will be nice for installing.

The chargers came with this end on them. I ended just snipping it off and going with ring terminals so I could attach them to the batteries.

Since I'm bumping the voltage from 36V to 48V, the motor rpms will increase from ~4800 to ~7200 rpm. This requires me to resize my pulleys to keep things spinning on the mower the correct rpm.

Here are the new pulleys. If you have been following this project, you know that my deck was spinning too fast before, so I have reduced the size of the mower deck pulley a fair amount. The drive pulley was reduced in size just enough to compensate for the voltage increase.

I got it all back together and took it for a quick spin around the yard. The mower deck pulley seems to be sized good, but the drive pulley seems to be a bit large now. I will have to use the mower a few times to see if its not just my imagination and the power of a fresh charge.

The great news is that the mower was only pulling ~75A while cutting on the short spin. This is a great reduction in amperage and actually almost exactly where I thought I'd be after the bump to 48V.

After the quick spin, I installed the battery chargers. They're not currently tied down anywhere, but that'll be the next step.

And, this is as it sits right now. If the grass drys out later today I'll be taking it for a good spin to see how the new setup really works.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
&
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Daox is offline   Reply With Quote