View Single Post
Old 11-08-13, 06:21 PM   #7
skyking
Helper EcoRenovator

I will elaborate on what I had in mind.
Imagine a 6/12 roof with OSB sheeting, with a black vapor barrier.
Then put on stringers to nail the suntuf on, forming a 4" air gap. Imagine a wall at the top edge of that roof to take the hot air into the building, with controls. Either turn the air in or turn it outside when things get too hot.
I would insulate under the OSB to minimize heat loss overnight and heat coming in when you don't want it.
funny how you think things through as you type
I can use traditional underlayment over the OSB sheeting, and seal it up good. Maybe even black roll roofing. It is cheap, absorbs heat like crazy, and will last indefinitely under the suntuf.
Punch a couple of curbed holes through near the bottom to admit the cool air. Curbed and sealed up nice so condensation from the bottom of the suntuf is properly channeled.

Now if the suntuf gets damaged, at least my structure is waterproof below till I replace the damaged panel. I can build drains into that system for both condensation and any damaged or deteriorated roof leakage.
Replace the suntuf periodically. I think it would pay off even if it had to be done every 10 years or so.
skyking is offline   Reply With Quote