View Single Post
Old 06-28-14, 10:24 PM   #29
wuck
Helper EcoRenovator

I've been using Ooma now for 5-6 years, haven't really had any issues. Lately, I've been thinking about dropping it, just because we don't use it much. However, my rural house is in a bit of a cell phone hole, and I have foil-faced insulation so cell service isn't great. My wife also works from home quite a bit, and spent 5-6 hours this week on conference calls using ooma. That would work OK with her contract (lots o' minutes) cell, but not so good on my prepaid tracfone.

I like the blacklist function in Ooma, so I can block all those calls from companies wanting to install free solar on my roof. I just built my own blacklist for a while, but recently subscribed to the community blacklist to save myself some time. Any number that calls without leaving a message gets a quick search then usually blacklisted. I have blacklisted numbers set to ring forever, so maybe it ties up their computer for a few more seconds before bugging someone else.

I started with ooma premier, but the blacklist was the only feature i really used. Ooma premier started at $100/year, I dropped it after they bumped it to $120. I was pretty happy to see the blacklist still working after dropping to a basic subscription.

If I dropped Ooma, I would use the bluetooth feature of my v-tech cordless phone set more. That would enable us to use our cordless phone handsets to answer our cell phones, and not have to carry the cell around the house with us or find it when ringing. Meanwhile, the cell phone could sit in a windowsill in the den near the v-tech base for a good cellular and bluetooth connection. Of course, we would have to remember to put them there, which might not be an issue with my charging station located in the den.

Pat
wuck is offline   Reply With Quote