View Single Post
Old 06-19-14, 01:30 PM   #22
AC_Hacker
Supreme EcoRenovator

Well, we did make it to 13 posts before going off topic... Pretty good for EcoRenovator.

But I wanted to report on my Ooma experience so far, since for me, a cell phone is not currently an option.

I still have the land line and Ooma, to see if I really want to do this.

So far, my experience is that the IP Phone calls are clearer that what I was experiencing with my land line. I was getting many reports of echoing on the line.

Also lots of small extras like caller ID, etc. are nice.

However, I am noticing that it can take a long time (1 to 2 sec) for the IP Phone to 'train up', in other words, to establish a duplex connection. But then the duplex conversation works just fine.

I have only a 5Mbps Internet connection, so the longer trainup time may be because of how it handles QoS issues, especially when I have a heavy download going on.

I also am having sporadic trouble calling a friend who has a MagicJack system. He hears the phone ring, but can't hear a voice, or see who the call is from. He is apparently having similar issues when he is called by many people who use cell phones, so I think the problem is actually on his end.

I also had an odd problem with one call, where I had reached a 'phone tree' (horrible invention) and when the choices were given, the robot would not respond to my button pushes. I called back on my 'land line' and it worked just fine. This problem has happened only once.

So my original, old POTS phone is looking less and less like a dear old friend, and more like a deal gone sour.

-AC

Last edited by AC_Hacker; 06-19-14 at 01:44 PM..
AC_Hacker is offline   Reply With Quote