View Single Post
Old 12-21-19, 05:26 PM   #10
Weather Spotter
I mod my world

Quote:
Originally Posted by NiHaoMike View Post
I have looked at that one, but unless something has changed, it can only "zero export" to loads on the output side, not the input. I have also watched a review on it and the owner criticizes that the settings are not flexible enough (e.g. can't set the low voltage cutout high enough) despite the hardware being perfectly capable of it.
With my xw+ 5546, I just installed it in between my meter and my main load panel in my house and I’m using it as a whole house transfer switch. Then all of my loads are on the load side of the inverter. As long as you are DC coupling to your battery bank and XW plus will do exactly what you want to do if you can put it between the grid and your loads it has a 60 amp breaker and a 75 amp rated transfer switch in it.

The only reason I have to keep my net metering with my utility is the fact that I am AC coupled. I have a SolarEdge inverter that back feeds my main home panel and When the grid is up the XW plus will not control the backflow to the grid. So any extra solar power just flows right back out to my utility. if the grid is down the extra solar will go into the battery bank. The XW plus is also smart enough that once the batteries get full in an off grid/ grid down AC coupled scenario it will start to frequency shift up enough to knock the grid tie inverter off-line.

I was told by several Schneider engineers that the new XW Pro has a lot more export related features than the old XW pluses. they told me that the reason the software was more limited on the XW plus Was that were totally out of memory space.

You seem to know control wiring a lot better than I do but I have my xW plus paired with the new Canex gateway device which has all sorts of useful features if you were a software/automation geek. They don’t offer a lot of features for programming ....... 😎. but it has the pin out for:
12v Digital signals
two can buss circuits
two iso RS 485 circuits
0 to 10 V analog inputs
0-20 mv imputes
And two sets of relay Nc, no and ground pins

They claim in the manual that it is mostly for battery BMS hook ups.... but the device has usb and an ST card slots, networking and it looks to me like you could probably use it to do all sorts of cool things.....

I would love to see somebody figure out a way of using the device to mod an xw+. The gateway is also a master configure tool for the XW plus. I can Wi-Fi login and change all the master settings on the XW plus.

The XW plus is monitoring power current and frequency flows on both AC lines 1 and two. It can also detect power coming in on both of its AC imports the second one is usually designed for a generator but you can prioritize to if you wanted to do things a little differently. It is also monitoring battery voltage and temperature .so it has a full picture of the power flow and would be able to take a mod bus power meter input signal if you wanted to have remote sensing.

It would be nice to set up some sort of PLC in her face or modify the program so that you could start a manual charging up the battery bank based on current flows go into the grid and in a sense Self consume all your AC coupled power.

I think a Xw+ Would do something similar to what you want and as long as you are do DC coupling. the software is all built in to prioritize self consumption of solar and export limited amounts back to the grid four loads on the load side of the unit. if you want to get into programming you could probably tweak the firmware or add remote current sensing and figure out a way of on the fly changing the sell amp setting to match your loads on the import side.
Weather Spotter is offline   Reply With Quote