View Single Post
Old 06-10-12, 03:42 PM   #5
bennelson
Home-Wrecker

Today was 95 and sunny.

I visited the chickens, and saw that half of them were UNDER the coop in the shade, and the other half were in the coop. The coop thermometer said 80 degrees, but it felt cooler than that.

The small far end window has a heavy screen over it, and the window is left open.

The chicken trap door is always open as well. On top of the coop is an old-fashioned "tubrine" air vent. Those types that look like a metal chef's hat, and spin, one of those.

The large front window on the coop is actually a pretty nice energy saving window. It reflects out high-angle summer sun, but lets in the more straight on winter sun. There's just a tiny overhang on the front, but it is enough to act as a passive solar summer shade.

The chickens seem to be cool and happy, with plenty of air circulation.

As for the chicken run. I just don't know. They haven't been there all that long, so I have no idea how the vegetation there will hold up. Most of what's there is woody, invasive plants. I'll keep an eye on the long term of the turf under the chicken run and keep you updated.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
bennelson is offline   Reply With Quote