View Single Post
Old 03-23-09, 06:15 AM   #6
seanof30306
Lurking Renovator

The simplest solution is a navy shower. It's the way they've showered on Navy ships forever, as fresh water is always a rare commodity on them. The concept is simple. Think about all the water that's wasted while you're soaping and washing your hair and body (or even shaving, as I do). You could avoid all that waste by shutting the water off when you're doing those things. Hell, it actually makes it easier to do your scrubbing.

The challenge in doing it is you have to get the water mix back right again every time you turn the water back on. It's frustrating and wastes time.

There's a much simpler solution ... just install a water shutoff valve behind the showerhead. I got mine at either Lowes or Home Depot for around 15 bucks, and installed it in less than 10 minutes with a pair of channel lock pliers and some teflon tape.

Step By Step: Install a Water-Saving Shower Shutoff Valve

There are a lot of benefits:

1. I cut my water use nearly in half, without having to rush through my showers or cut short my luxuriating under the hot water as I take my time rinsing off.

2. I quit running out of hot water near the end of my showers due to my old, crappy, 30 gallon hot water heater. I'd been planning on upgrading it, but no longer need to.

3. My poorly ventilated bathroom no longer has mold problems, as I wasn't leaving that steaming hot water on for my entire shower any more.

This is clearly a win-win, where I can save money and be greener while still enjoying a long, hot shower. I've been doing it for over 6 years, and would never go back.
seanof30306 is offline   Reply With Quote