View Single Post
Old 12-17-12, 11:17 AM   #33
MN Renovator
Less usage=Cheaper bills

That's right, Minneapolis is colder than Anchorage and in the summer they don't really have so much of a cooling need. It's funny to realize that their cooling and heating loads are lower there. Not sure what their energy costs are but I'd imagine those conditions make for cheaper utilities, might even be worth using mini-split heating/cooling designed into the construction with heavy insulation incorporated up there, they are doing that in new construction with houses constructed using insulated concrete form walls in Wisconsin where they have similar weather as they do here, they use Daikin heat pumps that have some backup strip heating in case its needed but the people building the houses say the heating load calculations say the auxiliary strips wouldn't be used unless it got below design temperatures. They have the benefit of being near ocean moderated air temperatures. Minnesota is land locked except for our frozen lakes which don't help but do cause lake-effect snow, which I'm glad I'm not close enough to a lake to feel that pain.

Last edited by MN Renovator; 12-17-12 at 11:22 AM..
MN Renovator is offline   Reply With Quote