View Single Post
Old 08-17-15, 01:13 PM   #6
gasstingy
Journeyman EcoRenovator

We have 3.5" of open cell foam over our ceiling sheetrock for insulation from where we built the house. After Katrina spiked our natural gas bill, I bought 40 bales {to cover 1520 s.f. +/-} of cellulose and borrowed the blower from Lowes. The hose was in lousy condition and I made a mess in the garage and the attic, but I got all the bales blown in. Oh yea, don't forget a filter mask, and one that covers your eyes too would be better than goggles. That was worth about 5" in the attic.

After going solar, I decided to get rid of our central unit. It was a 3.5 ton 12 SEER AC unit and 77% efficient natural gas furnace. Our home energy auditor said that if I added 5" more insulation in my attic, it would be exactly right for a 2.0 ton unit. This time I hired it out and added 10" of cellulose. {After all, if 5" is good, 10" must be better.} I am of the opinion that you aren't wasting money adding insulation. There are charts that say how much your house needs as a minimum. You can pay for more insulation, or you can pay for more energy. I believe more insulation makes our house more comfortable.
gasstingy is offline   Reply With Quote