View Single Post
Old 02-16-15, 10:34 AM   #241
Drake
DIY Guy

Excellent remodel. So much of the things one can decide to do is a trade off of what you have structure wise to start with, how much you can or care to invest, how much you can save by DYI and material sourcing and what is one valuing as cost effective. I think you can have confidence in your exterior wall retro fit which can be done several ways and to the degree one has space(or wall thickness) to give to it. A few R's here or there I don't think need to be sweated when the point is reached where other things like fresh air, infiltration become more critical correctable factors. I remodeled(more accurately rebuilt) my exciting modest sized 50's home 30 yrs ago using insulating research done by the UofMN which very much proved the best place to retrofit non permeable hi R insulation is on the inside of the vapor barrier as discussed NOT the outside of the easiest, most visible method Professional have done for years at great risk of potential structural and maybe more disastrous mold damage. The heating of or house was more than cut in half and is affected more now by how many times we open the exterior doors than most anything else. I just a few years ago added a three season room to one wall and opened it up from the exterior to put up new wall sheathing that I could adhere ceramic tile to and the insulation in the cavities was still perfect with not sign of moisture buildup. I think you will be happy with your efforts.

I maybe missed it but I am curious why you laid wood floor parallel w/pex rather than across, where it would have been easier to nail around pex to subfloor? Aesthetics of flooring?

Drake is offline   Reply With Quote