View Single Post
Old 05-29-13, 05:01 PM   #1
Quest
Apprentice EcoRenovator

Default replaced my 13L flush toilet with a 6L flush and oh my!

boy! was that ever a good improvement?!

First, a bit of history: our area has been on water meter for over 10 yrs now. Our house is built 10 yrs ago (to local housing code) which allows the installation of 13L flush.

Naturally, our house came with the cheepest possible gravity fed flush toilet named Eljer.

With a family of 4 with 2 boys (youngest one is 3yrs old), we tend to go through a lot of 13L flush on the lower story toilet. This is especially true with my 3 yrs old where he would run 25miles worth of tP into the toilet bowl and repeatedly flush it to see it "unroll"....

So, we go through quite a bit of water usage (mostly unnecessary ones).

Wifey's concern has always been that those low flush (6L varieties) don't work to her satisfaction, citing the ones that she came across in the past always have some sort of issues: plugging, poor rim cleaning, insufficient flush power (requires a few more rounds of flushing in order to get rid of the solid matters, etc.), which was totally understandable.

Even though our local municipality offers rebates towards the purchasing/installtion/retrofitting to 4.8L HET toilets, fact of the matter is: HETs are still very expensive in our area (cheepest ones are still over 268bux + tax each), and the rebate isn't enough to cover even the basic cost for that....

To save on water consumption (at least cut that in half), I decided to get some 6L flush type and done some research on them. It would be either AS -Cadet3 ($$) but with lots of mixed reviews citing poor/inconsistent castings to all sorts of leaks; to Toto Drake ($$$$), no complaints good/solid reviews but very pricey in our area, to Foremost Opal($), which rated as MaP @1000gms also (cheepest of them all, made in china, blah blah blah).

Bought a Foremost Opal 2-pc toilet (6L) and installed it over the past weekend, and have done some serious testings with it: from laying down pieces of toilet paper along the inside of the rim above the water line (then flush), to real testing of waste matter, etc. and much to my amazement: although cheep to purchase: this thingy flushes and cleanse nicely even with 6L of water!

Rim is clean and the flush is consistent enough to rid of any stuck tP on the bowl area (common test to see if there's enough bowl/rim wash to push it away), and so on.

Overall, I'm quite satisfied with the purchase. I'm gonna get 1 more over the next couple of weekends and install that in our high traffic area toilet and watch our water bill drops down a bit further.

*something to share with you conservationist*

Quest-TD

Quest is offline   Reply With Quote