View Single Post
Old 02-10-18, 04:28 AM   #5
Acuario
Apprentice EcoRenovator

I haven't tried this but here are my thoughts on the project.

From what I have seen there are 2 types of multisplit. The older type (pre inverter) had individual compressors for each circuit and physically shared the evaporator but with each having it's own circuit. The newer inverter types share the compressor and have a splitter to each internal unit. Logically thinking it through this is due to the compressor needing to be powerful enough to supply the maximum output of the unit. On an inverter this can be controlled by speed variation of the compressor. On traditional machines there is no control.

Imagine a multi split with 5 external units and a huge compressor. If only 1 internal unit is in operation the compressor would be seriously overrated in a conventional system if there was a single compressor. With an inverter system the compressor can be regulated so the problem goes away.

So, several things to consider.
- What is the capacity of the exterior unit? Is it sufficient to run the 3 internal units. If it is, is it too big if it is running only 1 unit?
- Are you planning to isolate machines that aren't being run? You will need some form of solenoid shut off valve on each machine to do this.
- You need to make sure there is no possibility the 3 machines are all shut off when the compressor is running. A high pressure switch is a must. This should shut off the compressor if it operates otherwise you may have dangerously high pressures in your system and damage the compressor.

As for the fans and heat exchangers, you can easily get 220-115V transformers and unless the heat exchangers are leaking (check with Nitrogen at high pressure) they may well be useable. The type of gas and its characteristics do make a difference but at the diy/hacker level it's probably not that significant.

Acuario
Acuario is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Acuario For This Useful Post:
stevehull (02-12-18)