View Single Post
Old 09-04-17, 12:12 AM   #30
jeff5may
Supreme EcoRenovator

Send a message via Yahoo to jeff5may

You can argue physics or theory all day long about what why how, doesn't hurt my feelings a bit. I done done it already. Due to the low mass flow of recirculating solution, sensible heat transfer indoors is insignificant. The latent transfer component indoors is a partial pressure type of transfer, not a heat gradient type of transfer. Outdoors is a different story. The more solar heat (surface area) that can be fed through the still or regenerator, the stronger the brine solution will end up being fed back indoors. This has been covered in previous threads using closed containers of brine solution as PCM heat storage media. All of the relevant figures remain the same, only the purpose has been changed.

If I did it again, I would probably use a teensy solar fountain pump to recirculate the solution. The outdoor rig I improvised way back when really surprised me in terms of expected versus actual performance. It could have kept a decent size hydroponic system fed with fresh water indefinitely. It looked much like this cross section sketch:

My original rig could be made more efficient by containing the liquid solution and heating it in a dedicated solar collector, and by turning the flat bottom into a stepped terrace. Both measures would boost water extraction. To get even more productivity out of the outdoor side, a real regenerator could be fashioned by dumping the hot solar panel brine into an evaporative cooling tower type creation. The hot water would leave through the top with the outdoor air, the strong brine solution would fall to the bottom and be routed indoors.

Here's your super simple process chart:

It looks like the OP won't be using this method, at least not for now. I'm done talking about it at the moment to keep the discussion moving forward.
jeff5may is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to jeff5may For This Useful Post:
stevehull (09-05-17)