View Single Post
Old 05-07-15, 11:26 AM   #17
ctgottapee
Helper EcoRenovator

You may already know, but hooking up any backfeeding/producing system to any utility requires their permission so use sound judgement (ie is anyone gonna give a crap and how much crap could fly, etc). Often the utility and local code requirement will really eat into the costs so its helpful to map that out and have approvals first.
And as noted almost all meters continue to add when spinning backward, some including the digital will trip alarms as well.

I did a minor system to cover phantom load, as in my area the utility doesn't offer net metering and charges crazy fees/rates for solar hookups. Also no state or utility rebates.
I used one enphase and a couple large unisolar thin film panels, and it never produces more than my homes typical phantom load. More of a fun test as my local power cost is dirt cheap so it'll break even maybe in a decade or so if at all.

Also look into the requirements on the tax incentives and rebates; some require certifications, etc. Depending on your rates, a lot of your payback may be tied up into this so it's important. Other things like how your insurance will handle panel damage or roof damage where the panels are is worth looking into.

Your racks look nice!
ctgottapee is offline   Reply With Quote