View Single Post
Old 08-28-14, 10:12 PM   #14
ICanHas
Banned

Quote:
LC filters are not the same as PFC capacitors. A parallel LC network connected in series with the load can be tuned to appear as a high impedance at the harmonic you're trying to get rid of.
I'm aware of that and nowhere did I say they're the same. I'm contrasting legitimate use vs marketing and application as snake oil product.

What you mentioned is categorized as passive filter and often called passive PFC. Passive harmonic filters have been used for decades in all kind of products including computer power supplies sold in European market to comply with IEC 61000-3-2. It has also been been integrated into a lot of lighting ballasts in US market.

Quote:
380V is called "HVDC" in a data center because traditionally, just "DC" referred to 48V.
We're not talking about data center specific matters so I am sticking with general definition as it relates to power. Not telecom, aviation, naval, data centre, etc.

Quote:
(Not to mention that calling 380V "low voltage" is misleading at best!)
In your opinion.

Under generally accepted standards, If it's 1,000v or less, it is low voltage, per IEEE 241-1990 and IEC 60071. We use arbitrary, but generally accepted standards and guidelines so we can have somewhat of a consistency and not have everyone jumping around with their own definition of terms creating confusions.
ICanHas is offline   Reply With Quote