View Single Post
Old 01-29-11, 01:50 AM   #16
Piwoslaw
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daox View Post
If a larger heat exchanger is causing condensing you are definitely pulling more energy from the exhaust which is exactly what you want. I think having the pro resize the system is probably the best way to go as he can size it appropriately. You may not even get close to 'too large' based on his calculations.
I think there may be two reasons why condensation should be avoided in an exchanger that wasn't constructed as condesation type:
  • The condensate is acidic, which may cause problems with corrosion,
  • When the gasses condense into a liquid they suddenly take up much less volume. This may effect the pressure of the exhaust, slowing it down before it escapes the chimney. Furnaces and boilers with a closed combustion chamber (including condensation models) usually have a fan that sucks the exhaust out of the chamber. My model relies on natural air flow to remove the exhaust gasses, so I'd rather not fool around with that.
That being said, it has crossed my mind to wrap the return around the exhasut flue to pull a few more calories out of the heat, but space restrictions are against me.

I'll start looking for a smart and helpful technician.

Quote:
Originally Posted by benpope View Post
Piwoslaw-
I think Walt was replying to me - I have the coal conversion boiler. "Boiler" is used to describe a heating system that heats water while a "furnace" heats air.
Sorry about that. I've replaced 'furnace' with 'boiler' in my previous posts. Thanks