View Single Post
Old 11-22-17, 10:47 AM   #9
AC_Hacker
Supreme EcoRenovator

Default Natural Gas Lines

In Oregon, Natural Gas can be piped underground through plastic, and I think it is HDPE, but it is yellow, or some other color.

However, HDPE is not allowed above ground due to possible physical damage or especially fire.

From a pirate's perspective, PEX makes a dandy gas line. It is sturdy, lasts forever, very easy to work with and cheap. But using it in-house has the stupendous disadvantage that if there was a house fire, the PEX would melt and unleash an inextinguishable fire... bad, bad, bad.

I do remember hearing about problems with physical connectors that were, for a while used to connect from the HDPE gas lines to above ground iron pipe. As I recall, the physical connectors were Shark Bite kind of things, and over time they failed, I suppose because of corrosion.

If I am right, and the NG line is HDPE (not PEX), then it could be fusion-welded to HDPE fittings that are physically designed to accept iron fittings.

This pirate is temporarily using PEX for an in-house gas dryer connection, so it does work.

-AC
judylara12 (12-31-17)