View Single Post
Old 10-11-13, 10:10 AM   #309
MN Renovator
Less usage=Cheaper bills

Have you tried to charge the battery to see if it rests at a normal 12.6+v after the charge to see if it survived or are you just declaring it dead because you drained it dry(and then some) once? Lead-acid batteries in general live short lives and its not uncommon to have an unexpected loss in capacity or otherwise early death. Even if you stopped the discharge before the voltage was pulled super low in the cell, the problem of a low capacity cell or two would most likely still be there just as it would be if it charged up okay for you to use it again. Seems to me that no matter how you look at it, this lead-acid battery took one for the team and will need to be replaced. I strongly support lithium but can see where its tough to justify its cost for a lawn mower especially when the cycle count is low and the expected life is generally expected to be higher because of that. I'm considering roughly a 1kwh LiPo pack to power my lawn mower, snow blower, and any other power tool using a 120v universal motor getting year round use out of it but $300+ is a tough pill for sure but I expect it would cover my full 1/4 acre lot of mowing and be plenty to chew through a driveway of about 9 inches of snow in one charge.

What do you plan to do going forward? Replace the bad 12v lead-acid battery with another?
MN Renovator is offline   Reply With Quote