View Single Post
Old 07-25-10, 08:03 PM   #3
bennelson
Home-Wrecker

Yep, I have lots of LITTLE pieces of wood around for fuel....

Yesterday, I got to do the assembly and welding of the stove.

I have very little experience welding, but a friend has a wire-feed welder and those sure seem easy to use!

I welded the main pipe to the base and then the feeder tube into the main tube.

The angle of the feeder tube made that weld a little trickier, but it was still pretty straight-forward.

Then I set the whole thing upside down and marked the cut-out for the section of the old water pressure tank. I traced the main pipe with a marker, and then cut just inside that line with a plasma cutter. (The other reason why I stopped at Tom's was for THAT special tool!)

Here, you can see that basic finished unit.

I still needed the divider that separates the air from the fuel down the middle of the feeder tube. I found some scrap metal that already had some slots in it (for air) so I cut that to the 6" width to fit in the feeder tube.

You can see how that plate goes right down the middle of the feeder tube, cutting it in half the long way.

Here's a top view of the divider plate. As you can see, the end will need to be rounded to make it fit all the way into the upright pipe.

And FINALLY, actually using it!

I don't have a cooking grate yet for it, but I already had a grill for camping around, so I just laid that over the top! Later, I plan to have a custom grate for it. If I get really lucky, I might be able to find something in stainless steel from a scrap yard.

I also need to weld in brackets to hold the grate and some lower brackets to hold either a stock pot or dutch oven.

The other thing I would really like is a sideboard/cutting board. Since the water tank had threaded ports on the side, I might just be able to reuse one of those to connect in some gas pipe which would hold up the table.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
bennelson is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to bennelson For This Useful Post:
Piwoslaw (07-28-10)